News: Union Minister for Science & Technology has launched a Scheme titled “SERB-POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research)”.
- Aim: To encourage emerging as well as eminent women researchers to undertake R&D activities in frontier areas of science and engineering.
- Components: The Scheme will have two components namely:
- SERB-POWER Fellowship:-
- Target: Women researchers in 35-55 years of age. Up-to 25 Fellowships per year and not more than 75 at any point in time.
- Components of support: Fellowship of Rs 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income; Research grant of Rs 10 lakh per annum and Overhead of Rs 90,000/- per annum.
- Duration: Three years without the possibility of extension.Once in a career.
- SERB – POWER Research Grants: POWER Grants will empower women researchers by funding them under the following two categories:
- Level I (Applicants from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, Central Universities, and National Labs of Central Government Institutions): The scale of funding is up to 60 lakhs for three years.
- Level II (Applicants from State Universities / Colleges and Private Academic Institutions): The scale of funding is up to 30 lakhs for three years.
- SERB: It is a statutory body established through an Act of Parliament in 2008.It is chaired by the Secretary to the Department of Science and Technology and has other senior government officials and eminent scientists as members.