News: Union Environment Minister has launched the Surakhsya Portal on World Elephant Day
- Surakhsya Portal: It is a National Portal on Human elephant conflict (HEC) that aims to collect real time information & manage conflicts on a real time basis to set data collection protocols, data visualization tools and data transmission pipelines.
- Significance: This will enable policy-makers to use data for policy formulation and for preparation of Action Plans for mitigation of conflicts.
- World Elephant Day: It is observed on August 12 to create awareness of the urgent plight of African and Asian elephants and to share the knowledge and positive solutions for the better care and management of captive and wild elephants.
- Conservation Status: The African elephants are listed as Vulnerable and Asian elephants as Endangered on the IUCN Red List of threatened species.
- Project Elephant(PE): It was launched by the Government of India in 1992 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme to a) protect elephants, their habitat & corridors b) address issues of man-animal conflict and c) Welfare of captive elephants.