News: Union Minister of Communications and Electronics & Information Technology has launched “Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge- Innovate Solutions for #Atma Nirbhar Bharat”.
- Swadeshi Microprocessor Challenge: It aims to invite innovators, startups and students to use microprocessors to develop various technology products.
- IIT Madras and Center for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) have developed two microprocessors named Shakti and Vega respectively under the Microprocessor Development Programme of the Ministry of Electronics and IT(MeitY).
- These microprocessors could be used by innovators, startups and students to develop various technology products.
- Funding: Financial support to the tune of Rs. 4.30 Crore at various stages of the Challenge for developing the hardware prototype and incubating a start-up is being offered.
- Microprocessor: It is an integrated circuit (IC) that contains a few millions of transistors (semiconductor-based electronic devices) fused on a semiconductor chip.
- It is just a few millimetres in dimension and is used in almost every electronic device from microwave and washing machine in homes to advanced supercomputers of a space station.