News:The United Nations Commission on the Status of Women has adopted a political declaration to reaffirm the 1995 Beijing Declaration to achieve gender equality.
About the declaration:
- The declaration aims to promote women’s emancipation and advancement around the world.
- It underlines the importance of gender equality to progress on all 17 Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs).
- It also noted that 25 years after the Beijing Declaration no country has fully achieved gender equality.
About Beijing Declaration:
- The Beijing Declaration was a resolution adopted by the United Nations(UN) at the Fourth World Conference on Women in 1995.
- It sets strategic objectives for the advancement of women and gender equality in 12 critical areas of concern like women and health, women in power and decision-making, the girl-child, women and the environment.
About Commission on the Status of Women(CSW):
- The Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) was established in 1946 as a functional commission of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- It is the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.