- The US lawmakers have moved a legislation seeking key amendment in the country’s Arms Control Export Act.
- The amendment seeks to bring India at par with the US NATO allies which are Israel, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea when it comes to the sale of high-tech military items.
- The proposed legislation follows the National Defense Authorization Act(NDAA),2017.The NDAA had designated India as a major defence partner which brings India at par with closest US partners in terms of defence trade and technology transfer.
- The significance of the legislation is that it would send a powerful signal that defence sales to India should be prioritised according to US-India Strategic Partnership Forum,which had worked on this legislation.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization(NATO) is an intergovernmental military alliance between 29 North American and European countries.It constitutes a system of collective defense whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.
6 min read