News:Styrene gas leakage at a polymer plant in Visakhapatnam has killed several people and forced the evacuation of thousands of people.
- Styrene:It is an organic compound with the formula C8H8.It is a derivative of benzene and is colourless liquid that evaporates easily,
- Uses: It is the main raw material for synthesis of polystyrene which is a versatile plastic used to make parts of various appliances such as refrigerators, automotive parts, parts of electronics and in food packaging.
- Effects of Exposure:
- Short-term exposure: It can result in respiratory problems, irritation in the eyes, irritation in the mucous membrane, and gastrointestinal issues.
- Long-term exposure: It could drastically affect the central nervous system and lead to other related problems like peripheral neuropathy.It could also lead to cancer and depression in some cases.
- Symptoms: Headache, Hearing loss, fatigue, weakness, difficulty in concentrating among others.