- Congress president has said that if Congress is voted to power following the upcoming Lok Sabha elections it will scrap the NITI Aayog and replace it with a lean Planning Commission.
- The Planning Commission was an institution in the Government of India, which was entrusted with formulating India’s Five-Year Plans among other functions.In 2014,Prime Minister dissolve the Planning Commission.It has since been replaced by a new institution named NITI Aayog.
- The National Institution for Transforming India,also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015. NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs.
- While designing strategic and long term policies and programmes for the Government of India,NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
- NITI Aayog acts as the quintessential platform of the Government of India to bring States to act together in national interest and thereby fosters Cooperative Federalism.
2 min read