- The Union Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry has decided to conduct workshops on prevention of drug use for 8lakh students across India. The workshops would be conducted with the help of State education boards and NGOs working in this field.
- The decision to conduct the workshop is in lines with the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (2018-2025) which highlights the need for education to prevent use of drugs among children.
- According to the Magnitude of Substance Use in India report submitted in 2019 by the National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre of the AIIMS, 1.3% of children between 10 and 17 years reported current use of alcohol. Further, 0.9% reported use of cannabis, 1.8% reported use of opioid and 1.17% reported use of inhalants.
- In 2018, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment drafted the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (2018-2025). The five year action plan aims to reduce to the adverse consequences of drug abuse in India through a) education, b) de-addiction and c) rehabilitation of affected individuals and their families.
- The Government of India has also brought out National Policy on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) in 2012 to combat drug menace in a holistic manner.
- Further, the government has had enacted Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act in 1985 to make stringent provisions for the control and regulation of operations relating to narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.
6 min read