News: The World Migratory Bird Day(WMBD) 2020 is being observed on 10th October,2020.
- World Migratory Bird Day: It is an annual awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the protection of migratory birds and their habitats.
- Who organises it? It is organized by Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) and the African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbird Agreement (AEWA) – together with Environment for the Americas(EFTA).
- When is it organized? Since,2018 the day is organized twice a year on the second Saturday in May and in October.
- Theme: Birds Connect Our World.
- AEWA: It is an intergovernmental treaty dedicated to the conservation of migratory waterbirds and their habitats across Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, Greenland and the Canadian Archipelago.
- It was developed under the framework of the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) and administered by the United Nations Environment Programme(UNEP).
- CMS or the Bonn Convention: It is an intergovernmental treaty, concluded under the aegis of UNEP.It was signed in 1979 in Bonn, Germany, and entered into force in 1983.It is the only global convention specializing in the conservation of migratory species, their habitats and migration routes.