News: United Nations World Refugee Day is observed every year on June 20.
- World Refugee Day: It is observed since 2000 to celebrate the stories and contributions of refugees.
- Nodal agency: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- Theme: “Every Action Counts”.
- Refugee: According to the United Nations 1951 Refugee Convention, people who fled their homes and countries due to a well-founded fear of persecution because of his/her race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion is a refugee.
- The cornerstone of the 1951 Refugee Convention is the principle of non-refoulement.
- According to this principle, a refugee should not be returned to a country where he or she faces serious threats to his or her life or freedom.
- India is not a signatory to the UN Refugee Convention of 1951 or the 1967 Protocol which protects refugee rights.