- Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister of State has said that the government’s target of constructing one crore houses by 2022 under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) could be completed by the end of 2020.
- He was speaking on the fourth anniversary of the launch of three schemes for urban development – PMAY (U), the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transportation (AMRUT) and the Smart Cities Mission.
- The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U) aims to construct 1.2 crore houses and ensure “Housing for All by 2022” by providing financial assistance to the beneficiaries. It has four components: a) In-situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR), b) Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP), c) Beneficiary-led Individual house construction or Enhancement (BLC), and d) Credit-Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS).
- Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transportation (AMRUT) seeks to provide basic services (e.g. water supply, sewerage, urban transport) to households and build amenities in cities to improve the quality of life for all, especially the poor and the disadvantaged.
- The Smart Cities Mission seeks to promote cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of technology as a means to create smart outcomes for citizens.
- The nodal ministry for the above schemes is
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
7 min read