News:The 10th National Voters Day(NVD) is being celebrated on January 25, 2020.
About National Voters Day:
- National Voters Day is celebrated on the 25th of January since the year 2011 to mark Election Commission’s foundation day.
- The objective of the day is to a) encourage, facilitate and maximize the enrolment, especially for the new voters and b) spread awareness among voters for promoting informed participation in the elections.
- Theme this year : “Electoral Literacy for Stronger Democracy”.
About Election Commission:
- The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in India.
- The body administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, State Legislative Assemblies in India and the offices of the President and Vice President in the country.
- It operates under the authority of the Constitution as per Article 324 and subsequently enacted Representation of the People Act,1951.
- Appointment:President appoints Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioners.It currently consists of Chief Election Commissioner and two Election Commissioners.They have tenure of six years or up to the age of 65 years whichever is earlier.
- They enjoy the same status and receive salary and perks as available to Judges of the Supreme Court of India.
- Removal:The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed from office only through impeachment by Parliament.Other Election Commissioners can be removed by the President of India on the recommendation of the Chief Election Commissioner.