- The government has introduced The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019, also known as the Triple ‘talaq’ Bill in the Lok Sabha.
- The government promulgated an ordinance on triple talaq in September 2018 and February 2019. This is because the bill though passed in Lok Sabha remained pending in the Rajya sabha.
- The ordinance declared the practice of triple talaq as void and illegal and a cognisable offence. It also prescribed a penalty of up to three years imprisonment for an offence. It further provided for subsistence allowance to married Muslim women and their children. The new bill is the same as the ordinance in force.
- In August 2017, The Supreme Court of India had held Instant triple Talaq has unconstitutional.
- Triple Talaq (Talaq-e-biddat) refers to a practice of divorce under Muslim personal laws simply by pronouncing word ‘talaq’ thrice in one sitting by a Muslim man to his wife.
6 min read