News:Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister has launched the flagship ‘Amma Vodi’ scheme’.
About ‘Amma Vodi’ scheme’:
- The scheme aims to provide direct financial assistance annually to poor and financially weak mothers or guardians to support them in educating their children.
- Under the scheme,the students belonging to Below Poverty Line and students studying in classes I to XII will get Rs 15,000 per annum.
- However,the guardian or mother of the child should ensure 75% attendance of the child.
- The scheme will be applicable for all the government, private aided, private unaided schools/junior colleges.It will also include residential schools and colleges in the state.
- But the scheme is not applicable to dropouts from school or colleges. Government employees and income taxpayers are also not eligible for the scheme.
Significance of the scheme:
- The Amma Vodi scheme is the first-of-its-kind scheme in the country, which is aimed at bringing significant changes in the education system of Andhra Pradesh.