- The Asian Tea Alliance has been launched in Guizhou in China. It is a union of five tea-growing and consuming countries.
- The members of the alliance are the a) Indian Tea Association, b) China Tea Marketing Association, c) Indonesian Tea Marketing Association, d) Sri Lanka Tea Board and e) Japan Tea Association.
- The formation of the alliance has come in the backdrop of signing of a memorandum of understanding between the Indian Tea Association and China Tea Marketing Association in 2018. The associations had signed the pact to promote green and black tea consumption in major tea markets of Europe, the U.S., Russia and West Asia, besides India and China.
- The alliance seeks to work towards enhancing tea trade, cultural exchanges, technology exchanges as well as globally promoting tea.
- Further, it seeks to work towards enhancing global consumption of tea, while creating a sustainability agenda for the future of Asian tea.
2 min read