News:Assam Government has announced a policy which says that no Government jobs will be provided to persons with more than two children after 1st January 2021.
Why this policy:
- The policy was introduced as the population in Assam has grown exponentially higher as compared to other states.
- According to the 2011 census,the Assam had registered a 16.93 per cent population growth in 10 years.
About the policy:
- The policy lists two key norms for government employment which are (a)Only candidates with two children will be eligible for government jobs and (b)Government servants shall strictly follow norms of two children to serve as role models for society.
- In 2018, Assam had passed the Assam Panchayat (Amendment) Act, 2018,The act says that those contesting panchayat polls cannot have more than two children.
- Other states with similar norms for local body polls include Uttarakhand, Odisha, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan.