- A team of researchers from the National Institute of Biomedical Genomics,West Bengal has found the Biomarkers for lymph node metastasis in oral cancer.
- The researchers have said that by looking out for five biomarkers,it is now possible to tell in advance if a person with oral cancer of the gum and cheek has lymph node metastasis even before surgery is undertaken.
- A biomarker or biological marker is a measurable indicator of some biological state or condition.Biomarkers are often measured and evaluated to examine normal biological processes,pathogenic processes or pharmacologic responses to a therapeutic intervention.Biomarkers are used in many scientific fields.
- Lymph nodes are tiny round or oval organs found all over your body, and they are connected through a complex system of lymphatic channels. They function to help the body fight infection via white blood cells.
- They act as filters for anything that should not be in the body,including cancer cells.Metastatic lymph nodes are those that have cancer cells within them which is spread from a primary tumor of somewhere else.
2 min read