- Finance Minister has said that the government will invest widely in agriculture infrastructure and support private entrepreneurship for value addition in farm sector.
- The government has also proposed a Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana(PMMSY) to establish a robust fisheries management framework and check gaps in the value chain.
- The government has proposed to increase budget allocation for the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare by over 78 % to 1.39 lakh crore rupees for the current fiscal.Out of the total amount,75,000 crore rupees will be for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi.
- The government has also proposed setting up of 10,000 new Farmer Producer Organisations(FPOs) to ensure economies of scale for farmers over the next five years.
- The government will also work with state governments to see that farmers get a fair price through electronic National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) that was launched in 2016.
- The finance minister also announced a proposal of zero budget farming .Zero budget farming is a set of farming methods that involve zero credit for growing agricultural produce and no use of chemical fertilizers.
- The minister has also said that farmers should be encouraged to adopt dairying by creating infrastructure for cattle feed manufacturing, milk procurement, processing and marketing.She said this would turn “annadata” (a reference to farmers) into “urjadata” (energy provider).
2 min read