News:Union Cabinet approved for the implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana(PMMSY).
- Aim: To bring about a Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of the fisheries sector in India.
- Augmenting fish production and productivity at a sustained average annual growth rate of about 9% to achieve a target of 22 million metric tons by 2024-25.
- Creation of direct gainful employment opportunities to about 15 lakh fishers, fish farmers, fish workers, fish vendors etc.
- Doubling of fishers, fish farmers and fish workers incomes by 2024.
- Duration: 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
- Nodal Ministry: Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries.
- Components: The scheme has two components — Central Sector Scheme(CS) and Centrally Sponsored Scheme(CSS).