News:The Central Bureau of Investigation(CBI) has set up an Online Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (OCSAE) Prevention/Investigation Unit.
About the unit:
- The unit will probe offences covered under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code(IPC),the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and the Information Technology(IT) Act and other relevant laws.
- It will also collect and disseminate information on online child sexual abuse and exploitation.
- It will function under the CBI’s Special Crime Zone.The unit’s territorial jurisdiction would be throughout the country.
- CBI is the premier investigating police agency in India.It functions under Dept. of Personnel, Ministry of Personnel, Pension & Public Grievances.
- It owes its origin to the Special Police Establishment, constituted by the British government in 1941 which was substituted by the Delhi Special Police Establishment(DSPE) Act, 1946.
- It is an executive body formed in 1963 through a Government of India resolution.The establishment of the CBI was recommended by the Santhanam Committee on Prevention of Corruption (1962-64)
- CBI’s investigative and jurisdiction powers are governed by the DSPE Act,1946.