- The National Liberation Front of Tripura(NLFT-SD) has signed a Memorandum of Settlement with the Central and Tripura government to abide by the Constitution of India.
- NLFT-SD has agreed to surrender its cadres with their weapons.The surrendered cadres will be given surrender benefits as per the surrender cum rehabilitation scheme,2018 of the Union Home Ministry.
- National Liberation Front of Tripura(NLFT) emerged in 1989 with the backing of the Baptist Church of Tripura in the aftermath of ethnic riots in the state.
- The group has since then advanced its cause through armed rebellion. The outfit claims to represent the indigenous population which it claims has been marginalised by the subjugation policy of imperialist Hindustani (India).
- However,over the years,due to internal conflict,the group has broken into several factions.The NLFT(SD) is being one of them.
- The NLFT is banned under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act since 1997 and has been involved in violence operating from their camps across the international border.
- Further,the peace talks with NLFT were initiated in 2015 and there has been no violence by NLFT since 2016.
2 min read