News:Chapchar Kut Festival is being Celebrated in the State of Mizoram.
About the Festival:
- Chapchar Kut is an annual harvest festival of the Mizo Community which marks the beginning of Spring Season.
- It is celebrated during March every year where they cut bamboo trees and are left to dry so that they can be burnt for jhum Cultivation.
- During the festival,traditional bamboo dances such as Cheraw are also performed.
About Jhum Cultivation:
- Jhum(Shifting) Cultivation also called slash-and-burn agriculture is a technique of rotational farming in which land is cleared for cultivation (normally by fire) and then left to regenerate after a few years.
- This type of cultivation is widely practiced among the indigenous communities of Northeast India.