News:Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) has successfully flight tested New generation Anti Radiation Missile(RUDRAM).
- RUDRAM: It is India’s first indigenous anti-radiation air-to-surface missile for Indian Air Force(IAF).The missile is integrated on SU-30 Mk1 fighter aircraft.
- Purpose: It is designed to detect, track and neutralise the adversary’s radar, communication assets and other radio frequency sources which are generally part of their air defence systems.
- The missile’s navigation mechanism comprises an inertial navigation system — a computerised mechanism that uses changes in the object’s own position coupled with GPS which is satellite-based.
- For guidance, it has a “passive homing head” — a system that can detect, classify and engage targets (radio frequency sources in this case) over a wide band of frequencies as programmed.
- The missile has an operational range of more than 100 km, based on the launch parameters from the fighter jet.