News: Kyrgyzstan is facing its worst political crisis in decades after the opposition said that the election was rigged which led to protesters capturing government buildings forcing the President to flee the presidential palace and plunging the country into chaos.
- Kyrgyzstan: It is a landlocked country in Central Asia bordering Kazakhstan, China, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- Capital: Bishkek.
- Significance: It is often referred to as ‘Central Asia’s only democracy.
- Member of? Kyrgyzstan is a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO).
- CSTO is a Russia-led military alliance formed to ensure the collective defence of any member that faces external aggression.
- Protests: The country had seen violent anti-government protests in the past.In 2005 and 2010, sitting presidents were forced out of office in popular protests- ‘Tulip’ and ‘Melon’ revolutions.