News:Recently,the findings of 10 months of NASA’s InSight lander mission have been described in a set of six papers.
About InSight mission:
- The Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport (InSight) mission is a robotic lander designed to study the deep interior of the planet Mars
- The mission is part of NASA’s Discovery Program.It is being supported by a number of European partners, which include France’s Centre National d’Études Spatiales (CNES), the German Aerospace Center (DLR) and the United Kingdom Space Agency (UKSA).
Objectives of the mission:
- To uncover how a rocky body forms and evolves to become a planet by investigating the interior structure and composition of Mars.
- To determine the rate of Martian tectonic activity and meteorite impacts.
Key findings of the mission:
- Mars is seismically active through the detection of hundreds of quakes some of which can be traced to a volcanic region nearly 1,000 miles away.
- However,Mars doesn’t have tectonic plates like Earth but it does have volcanically active regions that can cause rumbles.
- Billions of years ago,Mars used to have a global magnetic field.But that’s no longer the case as what is left behind are what NASA describes as ghosts i.e magnetized rocks that are between 61 m to several km below ground.
- However,the mission has also found that the field surrounding the lander has 10 times stronger magnetic field than that predicted by scientists.
- The weather sensors have detected thousands of passing whirlwinds, which are called dust devils.
- However, despite detecting the dust devils,the lander has been unable to capture one on camera.