News: Finance minister has announced the national rollout of a ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ system in all states and Union Territories by March 2021.
- One nation one ration card System: It envisages inter-state portability of ration cards under National Food Security Act, 2013(NFSA).
- Under this, the migratory ration card holders can take their entitled food grains from any Fair Price Shop(FPS) in the country by using their ration card issued in their home States/ UTs after biometric authentication on electronic Point of Sale(ePoS) devices installed at the FPSs.
- So far, 17 states and UTs have come on board to roll out the inter-state portability of ration cards under the NFSA.
- National Food Security Act,2013: It aims to provide food and nutritional security to eligible persons by providing 5 Kgs of foodgrains per person per month at subsidised prices of Rs. 3/2/1 per Kg for rice/wheat/coarse grains.
- Ration cards: These are an official document issued by state governments in India to households that are eligible to purchase subsidized food grain from the Public Distribution System under the National Food Security Act.