News:Recently,Arya Samaj observed the death anniversary of Arya Samaj Missionary Swami Shraddhanand who was assassinated on December 23, 1926.
About Swami Shraddhanand:
- Swami Shraddhanand was born on February 22,1856 at village Talwan in Jalandhar district in Punjab province.
- In the early 1880s, he came into contact with Swami Dayanand, the founder of the Arya Samaj.Shraddhanand also wrote a book called Hindu Sangathan.
- By 1923, he focussed primarily on the shuddhi movement(reconversion to Hinduism).
- Shuddhi Movement was started by Arya Samaj to bring back the people who had converted to Islam and Christianity from Hinduism.Swami Dayanand Sarawati played a prominent role in the shuddhi movement.
- In 1923, he also became the president of Bharatiya Hindu Shuddhi Sabha created with an aim of reconverting Muslims specifically Malkani Rajputs in the western United Province.
- He was also against the then prevailing social inequality in Indian society particularly untouchability which he termed as a curse and a blot on the reputation of the Hindus.
About Arya Samaj:
- Arya Samaj is a Hindu reform movement that was founded by Dayanand Saraswati in 1875 in Bombay.The movement believes in the infallible authority of the Vedas.
- The central objectives of Arya Samaj is to eradicate Ignorance (Agyan), Indigence or Poverty (Abhav) and Injustice (Anayay) from this earth.