News: The Government of India has decided to launch a massive rural public works scheme named ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan’.
- Aim: To empower and provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and rural citizens.
- Coverage: It will be implemented across 116 districts in the six States namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha.
- Features: The campaign will run for 125 days.It will involve 25 different types of works to provide employment to the migrant workers on one hand and create infrastructure in the rural regions of the country on the other hand.
- Implementation: It will be operationalised through the Common Service Centres and Krishi Vigyan Kendras.
- Ministries Involved: It will be a coordinated effort between 12 different Ministries/Departments, namely Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Road Transport & Highways, Mines, Drinking Water & Sanitation, Environment, Railways, Petroleum & Natural Gas, New & Renewable Energy, Border Roads, Telecom and Agriculture.