News: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees(UNHCR) has released the Global Trends Report.
- Five countries account for two-thirds of people displaced across borders: Syria, Venezuela, Afghanistan, South Sudan and Myanmar.
- Around 80 million people were displaced at the end of 2019. Conflict, Persecution, Violence, Human rights violations were the main reasons behind the displacements.
- Forced displacement has almost doubled since 2010 (41 million then vs 79.5 million now).
- More than eight of every 10 refugees (85 per cent) are in developing countries generally a country neighbouring the one they fled.
- UNHCR: It was created in 1950.It is headquartered at Geneva, Switzerland.
- Purpose: To protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people and assists in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country.