- Recently,a high-level government panel has decided to do away with the need for foreign firms to store a copy of all personal data within India.
- But the panel has said that all critical personal data must still be stored and processed in the country.
- Further,the panel has decided to hold further discussions with all stakeholders to decide what would constitute critical personal data.
- However,this panel’s order is a dilution of the recommendations of the Justice Srikrishna committee.The committee had recommended that while personal data can be processed and stored abroad,a copy needs to be stored here.
- The committee had also said that all critical personal data to be stored only in India.
- The committee had said that critical personal data will include passwords, financial data, Health data among others.However,it had added that the government should define critical personal data.
1 min read