News:The GST Council has decided to set up a grievance redressal mechanism for taxpayers.
About Grievance Redressal Committee(GRC):
- The Grievance Redressal Committee(GRC) at zonal and state levels will be set up as a redressal mechanism for taxpayers.
- It will consist of both central tax and state tax officers, representatives of trade and industry and other goods and services tax(GST) stakeholders.
- The committee will be constituted for a period of 2 years and the term of each member will be likewise.
- The functions of the committee include examining and resolving all the grievances and issues being faced by the taxpayers, including procedural difficulties and IT-related issues pertaining to GST, both specific and general nature.
- The committee will meet once every quarter or more frequently as decided by the co-chairs.
- If any member of the panel would be absent for three consecutive meetings,the member will be replaced with a fresh nomination by the principal chief commissioner of State tax.
About GST Council:
- Goods & Services Tax(GST) Council is a constitutional body for making recommendations to the Union and State Government on issues related to Goods and Service Tax.
- As per Article 279A (1) of the constitution, the GST Council was constituted by the President.
- The council consists of the following members: (a) The Union Finance Minister is the Chairperson (b) The Union Minister of State in-charge of Revenue of finance and (c) The Minister In-charge of finance or taxation or any other Minister nominated by each State Government.