- Niti Aayog has proposed a Bridge Course between BDS and MBBS in an attempt to address the acute shortfall of doctors in the country.The successful completion of the course would allow dentists to practice primary health care.
- The NITI Aayog proposal is based on the fact that the dental courses in the country follow the same training and curriculum as the MBBS courses for the first three years.This proposal looks to empower dentists in the country to cater to primary health care.
- However,Indian Medical Association(IMA) has opposed the NITI Aayog proposal.It has said that there is no global precedent of utilizing dentists for general medicine as both are two separate streams having different skill sets.
- IMA has also said that MBBS graduates are not being absorbed into postgraduate courses and there was also no creation of new posts and new primary health care centres.Further,Government has also failed to provide employment to young medical graduates.
- According to Union health ministry,there is less than one doctor for every 1000 population in India.Therefore,it does not meet the World Health organisation(WHO) standards.As per WHO,the doctor population ratio should be 1:1000.
- Further,more than 65% of health professionals are available in urban part of India for 31% of population whereas in rural areas 33% of health professionals are available for 70% of the population.
- The Indian Medical Association (IMA) is a national voluntary organisation of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine in India.It looks after the interest of doctors as well as the well being of the community at large.It was established in 1928 as the All India Medical Association renamed as Indian Medical Association in 1930.It is a society registered under The Societies Act of India.
3 min read