News:The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute(CSIR-NEERI) has launched the country’s first interactive online repository called Indian Air quality Interactive Repository (IndAIR).
- The IndAIR aims to make air quality research and studies in an easily accessible web format for the public, media, researchers and academics.
- The repository has archived scanned materials from pre-internet era, research articles, reports and case studies to provide the history of air pollution research and legislation in the country.
- It is the first comprehensive effort to enlist existing Indian research and analysis on air pollution, its causes and effects.
- The repository reveals that air pollution was recognised as a subject in India even in 1905 when a study was carried out for Bengal Smoking Nuisance Act.
- The CSIR-National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) is a research institute created and funded by the Government of India.
- It was established in Nagpur in 1958 with focus on water supply, sewage disposal, communicable diseases and to some extent on industrial pollution and occupational diseases found common in post-independent India.