News: Economist Intelligence Unit released Democracy Index 2019
About Democracy index:
- It is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; the functioning of government; political participation; political culture; and civil liberties.
- It ranks countries based on their scores on 60 indicators.
- It classifies them as one of four types of regime: full democracy, flawed democracy, hybrid regime and authoritarian regime.
Key Takeaways from Democracy index 2019
- The index was topped by Norway, followed by Iceland and Sweden
- North Korea was at the bottom of the global ranking at 167th place.
- India was ranked 51st and included in the “flawed democracy” category.