- According to the recently released Census 2011 migration data, there over 45.58 crore Indians were found to be migrants as against 31.45 crore during 2001 Census.
- According to the Census, when a person is enumerated in Census at a different place than his/her place of birth, she/he is considered a ‘migrant’
- The Census has also reported that Marriage and employment were the major reasons for migration.
- UP, Bihar, Rajasthan and MP had the highest ‘outmigration’. Maharashtra, Delhi and Gujarat had the largest ‘in-migration’.
- Among larger states, Bihar had the lowest number of people migrating into the state.
- Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand had more in-migration than out-migration. While, UP, Bihar and Rajasthan had negative net migration i.e. more people left the state than coming in.
1 min read