- According to the data provided by the Integrated Management Information System (IMIS) of the Ministry of Jal Shakti, Gujarat has the highest penetration of piped water supply under the National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP).
- Himachal Pradesh and Haryana perform the best after Gujarat.
- West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar perform the worst when it comes to piped water supply in rural areas.
- Among smaller states, Sikkim has the highest coverage of rural households with piped water supply.
- Jal Shakti ministry has recently announced Jal Jeevan Mission. It seeks to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections (HarGharJal) to all rural households by 2024
- The Mission will focus on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level. It seeks to implement source sustainability measures recharge and reuse through grey water management, water conservation, rain water harvesting.
1 min read