News:Indian Navy has launched ‘Operation Vanilla’ in support of flood-hit Madagascar.
- The Navy has sent the INS Airavat, a large amphibious ship to provide assistance.
- Further,this operation is also in line with Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Security and Growth for all in the Region(SAGAR).
About INS Airavat:
- INS Airavat is the third Shardul-class amphibious warfare vessel of the Indian Navy.It was built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers in Kolkata.
- Security and Growth for All in the Region(SAGAR) is a term coined by the Prime Minister(PM) in 2015.
- It is a maritime initiative which gives priority to Indian Ocean region for ensuring peace, stability and prosperity of India in Indian Ocean region.
- The initiative aims at a) enhancing capacities to safeguard land and maritime territories & interests b) deepening economic and security cooperation in the littoral and c) action to deal with natural disasters and maritime threats like piracy,terrorism.
- Madagascar is an island country in the Indian Ocean approximately 400 kilometres off the coast of East Africa.It is the fourth largest island in the world.
- Madagascar is also a member of inter-governmental organisation Indian Ocean Rim Association(IORA).