News:Government has said that Draft Information Technology [Intermediaries Guidelines (Amendment) Rules] 2018 are under process of revision in the wake of instances of violence and lynchings affiliated with content posted on social media platforms.
- Internet intermediary refers to a company that facilitates the use of the Internet.Such companies include internet service providers(ISPs), search engines and social media platforms.
Features of the Draft IT Intermediaries Rules 2018:
- The online intermediaries with more than 50 lakh users will be required to have a registered entity in India under the Companies Act.
- They should also appoint a nodal person of contact for 24X7 coordination with law enforcement agencies and ensure compliance with their orders.
- They should also provide information or assistance within 72 hours when asked by any government agency for reasons of State security, cyber security, investigation, detection, prosecution or prevention of offenses.
- The intermediary should also report cybersecurity incidents with the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team.
- The intermediary should publish the name of the Grievance Officer and his/her contact details on its website.
- It should also lay down a mechanism by which it redresses the concerns of users who suffer as a result of access or usage of computer resources by any person in violation of rules.
- The intermediary should also deploy technology based automated tools for identifying and removing or disabling public access to unlawful information or contents.