- Kaleshwaram Multipurpose Lift Irrigation Project on River Godavari has been inaugurated by Telangana Chief Minister. It is being touted as world’s largest multi-stage, multi-purpose lift irrigation project.
- The project is unique because Telangana will harness water at the confluence of two rivers with Godavari by constructing a barrage at Medigadda in Jayshankar Bhoopalpally district. It would then reverse pump the water into the main Godavari River and divert it through lifts and pumps into a huge and complex system of reservoirs, water tunnels, pipelines and canals.
- The project will support crop cultivation on 45 lakh acres of land. It will also meet the drinking water requirement of 70% of the state and also cater to the needs of the industry.
- The project has set many records. It has world’s longest water tunnels, aqua ducts, underground surge pools, and biggest pumps. The longest tunnel is 21 kms long connecting Yellampalli reservoir with Medaram reservoir.
- The total length of Kaleshwaram project is approximately 1,832 kms, of which 1,531 kms is gravity canals and 203 kms comprise water tunnels.
- There are 20 water lifts and 19 pump houses in the project. It has 20 reservoirs spread across 13 districts with a total capacity to store 145 TMC.
- Lift irrigation is a method of irrigation in which water is not transported by natural flow but is lifted with pumps or surge pools etc. Till date, the biggest lift irrigation projects in the world were the Colorado lift scheme in America and the Great Manmade River in Egypt.
6 min read