- The Controller General of Patents,Designs and trademarks has granted the Geographical Indication(GI) tag for Kolhapuris to a large area in Maharashtra and Karnataka,covering four districts in each state.
- Kolhapuris are sturdy leather chappal that rose from its humble rural origins to occupy the high table of fashion globally.
- The GI tag means that footwear produced only in these eight districts will qualify to carry the tag of being Kolhapuris.
- The producers of footwear in any other part of the country will now be forbidden from using the term Kolhapuris.
- A geographical indication(GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.GI tags are given on the basis of the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act,1999.
- GI tag secures the quality and authenticity of a product to a particular geographical origin.It provides legal protection from duplication.The first product to get GI tag was Darjeeling Tea.
6 min read