- The Lok Sabha has passed the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Bill, 2019.
- The bill ensures reservations in teaching positions in central institutions for persons from Scheduled Castes/Tribes,Other backward classes (OBCs) and those from economically weaker sections.
- The bill applies to central educational institutions which include universities set up by Acts of Parliament,institutions deemed to be a university,institutions of national importance and institutions receiving aid from the central government.
- The bill will implement the 200-point reservation system instead of 13-point roster system to fill up teacher vacancies in Universities and Central Government Higher Educational Institutions
- The 200-point reservation system proposes to make university or college as a unit instead of department for the purpose of providing reservation for filling teachers posts in central education institutions.
6 min read