- The Central government has set up a high powered committee of seven chief ministers led by Maharashtra’s CM as its convenor.
- The panel will suggest measures to transform Indian agriculture and raise farmers’ income.
- The Terms of reference(ToR) of the panel include suggestions on modalities for adoption and time-bound implementation of two key model Acts namely agriculture market reforms act and contract farming act by the states.
- The other ToR includes (a)Examining various provisions of Essential Commodity Act (ECA),1955 and (b)to suggest mechanism for linking of market reforms with e-NAM,GRAM and other relevant centrally sponsored schemes.
- Further,the panel will also recommend policy measures to boost agricultural exports,raise growth in food processing and attract investments in modern market infrastructure,value chains and logistics.
- The panel will also suggest measures to upgrade agri-technology to global standards and improve access of farmers to quality seed and proposing any other relevant reforms for transformation of agriculture sector and raising farmers income.
- The panel will also study various proposals of the inter-ministerial committee on Doubling Farmers’ Income(DFI) which had suggested specific action points for reforms in the farm and allied sector.
7 min read