- The US President has asserted executive privilege in an effort to shield hidden portions of Robert Mueller incomplete report.It is the first time the current US President has invoked executive privilege to shield information from Congress.
- Executive privilege is a right claimed by presidents to withhold information about internal executive branch deliberations from other branches of government.
- Recently,United States Department of Justice has released the special counsel Robert Mueller’s report.The report looks into alleged Russian collusion in the 2016 Presidential elections which saw incumbent US President Donald Trump rise to power.
- There were two main Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election: (a)disinformation and social media operations and (b)computer hacking designed to gather and disseminate information to influence the election.
- The report has said that the Russian government sponsored efforts to illegally interfere with the 2016 presidential election but did not find that the US President campaign or other Americans colluded in those efforts
4 min read