News:National Consumer Day is being observed every year on 24th December.
About National Consumer Day,2019:
- The objective of Consumer Day is to highlight the importance of the consumer movement and the need to make every consumer more aware of their rights and responsibilities.
- The theme of this year is “ alternate consumer grievance/dispute redressal”.
- On this day the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 was enacted.The Act aims to provide consumers with effective safeguards against different types of exploitation, such as defective goods, deficiency in service and unfair trade practices.
About Consumer Protection Act,2019:
- Recently,the Parliament has passed the Consumer Protection Bill,2019. The act replaces the Consumer Protection Act,1986.
- The act aims to protect the rights of consumers by establishing authorities for timely and effective administration and settlement of consumers dispute.
- The act defines a consumer as a person who buys any goods or avails a service for a consideration.It does not include a person who obtains a good for resale or a good or service for commercial purposes.