News:Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the ratification of the Tenth Additional Protocol to the Constitution of the Universal Postal Union (UPU).
About Universal Postal Union(UPU):
- UPU is a specialized agency of the United Nations.It was established by the Treaty of Bern of 1874.
- It is the second oldest international organization worldwide after International Telecommunication Union(ITU).
- It is headquarters in Bern,Switzerland.It consists of 192 member countries.India joined the UPU in 1876.
- UPU is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
- It also oversees the Telematics and Express Mail Service (EMS) cooperatives.Each member agrees to the same terms for conducting international postal duties.
- Further,it also coordinates postal policies among member nations, in addition to the worldwide postal system.
Significance of ratification:
- The approval enables the Postal Administration of India to have the Instrument of Ratification signed with the Director-General of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union through diplomatic channels along with the approval of other Acts of the Union.
- It will also enable the Department of Posts to bring out any administrative orders to implement the provisions of the UPU Convention in India.