News:Ministry of Women and Child Development has invited applications for Nari Shakti Puraskar for the year 2019.
About Nari Shakti Puruskar:
- The Nari Shakti Puraskar is a national honour conferred on individual women for their exceptional achievement and exemplary service to the cause of upliftment of women.
- The award was established in 1991.The awards are conferred by the President of India on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- The award recognises the spirit of courage of women in difficult circumstances and the pioneering contribution of an individual in empowering women and raising women’s issues.
About International Women’s Day:
- The United Nations began celebrating International Women’s Day (IWD) on 8 March during International Women’s Year 1975.
- It aims to empower women in all settings be it rural and urban and celebrate the activists who work constantly to assert women’s rights and realise their full potential.
- The day is observed to stand in harmony with all those fearless women fighting for gender equality and highlight those women who often pass unnoticed.
- The theme for 2019 was ‘Think equal, build smart, innovate for change’.
About International Women’s Day and SDGs:
- International Women’s Day is also an opportunity to achieve the goal number 4 & 5 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- The Goal 4 of SDG aims to ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning.
- The Goal 5 aims to achieve gender equality, empower all women and girls and to end all forms of discrimination and violence against all women and girls everywhere.