News:Cabinet Secretary has chaired a meeting of National Crisis Management Committee to review the prevailing flood situation in Bihar.
- Government of India had set up a Standing National Crisis Management Committee for effective implementation of relief measures in the wake of natural calamities.
- The committee is headed by Cabinet Secretary.It also includes Secretaries of Ministries / Departments and agencies with specific Disaster management responsibilities.
- The key functions of the committee include (a)oversee the Command, Control and Coordination of the disaster response and (b)give direction to the Crisis Management Group(CMG) as deemed necessary.
Crisis Management Group (CMG):
- The CMG deals with matters relating to relief in the wake of major natural calamities.
- The group consists of Relief Commissioner(Chairman) and other nodal officers from various concerned Ministries.
- Its functions are to review (a)contingency plans formulated by various Ministries (b)measures required for dealing with a natural disaster and (c)coordinate the activities of the Central Ministries and the State Governments in relation to disaster preparedness and relief.