News:National Science Day is celebrated every year on 28 February to commemorate the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ by Dr CV Raman.He was also awarded the Nobel Prize for this discovery in 1930.
About National Science Day:
- The Government of India had first celebrated National Science Day in 1986.
- National Council for Science & Technology Communication(NCSTC), Department of Science and Technology(DST) acts as a nodal agency to celebrate the National Science Day.
- Theme for 2020:Women in Science.
About Raman effect:
- The Raman Effect is a change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules.
- When a beam of light traverses a dust-free,transparent sample of a chemical compound,a small fraction of the light emerges in directions other than that of the incident (incoming) beam.
- Most of this scattered light is of unchanged wavelength.However,a small part has wavelengths different from that of the incident light; its presence is a result of the Raman effect.