- The Minister of Commerce and Industry has informed the Lok Sabha about the New National Rubber Policy.
- The Department of Commerce brought out the National Rubber Policy in March 2019.
- The National Rubber Policy includes several provisions to support the Natural Rubber(NR) production sector and the entire rubber industry value chain.
- The Policy is based on the short term and long term strategies identified by the Task Force constituted on the rubber sector for mitigating problems faced by rubber growers in the country.
- The Policy covers (a)new planting and replanting of rubber (b)support for growers (c)processing and marketing of natural rubber (d)labour shortage (e)external trade (f)Centre-State integrated strategies (g) research and training (h)rubber product manufacturing and export (I)climate change concerns and carbon market.
- Natural rubber which is also called India rubber or caoutchouc consists of polymers of the organic compound isoprene with minor impurities of other organic compounds plus water.
- Thailand and Indonesia are two of the leading rubber producers.Further, India’s stands in fourth place in the production of natural rubber and second place in world consumption.
6 min read