- Indian government in 2016 inked a direct deal with the French government to purchase 36 new Rafale fighter jets.The Opposition parties have alleged that the government bought 36 Rafale fighter aircraft at a much higher price than the one that was being negotiated for 126 aircraft by the previous government.
- Rafale is a twin-engine medium multi-role combat aircraft.It is manufactured by the French company Dassault Aviation.
- Dassault claims Rafale has ‘Omnirole’.This is the capability to perform several actions at the same time.It can carry out both air-to-ground as well as air-to-air attacks.It can also carry out interceptions during the same flight.
- The aircraft is fitted with an on-board oxygen generation system (OBOGS).It suppresses the need for liquid oxygen re-filling or ground support for oxygen production.
- It carry out a wide range of missions: (a)Air-defence/air-superiority (b)Reconnaissance (military observation of a region to locate an enemy or ascertain strategic features) (c)close air support dynamic targeting (d)Air-to-ground precision strike (e)anti-ship attacks (f)nuclear deterrence and (g)buddy-buddy refueling.
2 min read